Angolan fabrics

A few years ago my cousin had the idea of forming a craft collective, the impetus being a large amount of fabric her friend Ana had brought back from Angola. The project never got off the ground, but I did make two lovely quilts from the fabric.

This is a simple patchwork quilt, simply quilted. I like the way the pattern traverses the pieced squares.

image image

This next quilt is a wholecloth quilt, made from one panel of fabric heavily quilted.

image image

Advertisements

Frenemies

Some of my quilts just don’t work out. However, despite the irritation they cause me I can’t bring myself to throw them away and I certainly wouldn’t want to foist them on any of my friends.

Yesterday, I advertised some of these frenemies on the work notice board as ‘free to a good home’ and in a few hours they were gone. I’m glad they’re not around to irritate me any more and I’m glad that they’ve gone to people who I think will treasure them. This blog is a perfect place to remember them.

I made this quilt because I wanted to try out the woven Japanese fabric. The fabric is lovely but not really cosy enough. The quilt itself is a bit uninspiring and too small:

image image

I quite like the next quilt, but it’s too small and gloomy (the photograph makes it look lighter than it is). The fabric is from Oakshott and is absolutely gorgeous. I bought  a small amount of it at the festival of quilts and used every last bit of it in the quilt. I’d like to quilt with these fabrics again, but next time I’ll mix in some lighter colours.

image image

The next quilt is one of the first quilts I made. I love the fabrics with their thirties colours, but the white fabric is not that nice, the quilt is badly basted, and my attempt at machine quilting failed! I’ve never used this quilt but looking at it brings back lots of memories.

image

Basting with a gun

I’ve now successfully basted two quilts with the gun and I think I’m a convert; although the final verdict will have to wait until I’ve quilted the quilt and removed the tacks.

I ended up losing the first two tacks in the quilt (they’re tiny) as they didn’t go through all three layers. But once I’d got the hang of the technique and pushed the gun hard against the fabric everything went very smoothly.

image

Using up leftovers

The thought of basting my recently finished quilt top was filling me with dread, so I’ve decided to see whether using a basting gun would make the process less painful. I didn’t want to test the gun on such a large quilt, so I decided to make a smaller quilt from the leftovers of the Amish with a Twist quilt, using this quilt as inspiration.

image

The basic building blocks of the top are 2” squares. However once I’d finished it, I realized that for some of the pieces I could have cut rectangles rather than two separate squares. Tomorrow the basting gun!

A return to quilting

I’ve recently started quilting again after a two year break (kittens and knitting took over). In those two years I’d acquired a Ravelry account and I realised that I’d like to record my quilting in a similar way. Hence this blog.

My return to quilting began with finishing a block of the month quilt kit, Amish with a Twist II by Nancy Rink, made using Marcus Centennial solids. I’d made all the blocks except for 28 log cabin blocks. My favourite log cabin method is the one Lynne Edwards uses in Making Scrap Quilts to Use It Up! and I found piecing these hard work (the thought of piecing them was probably why I abandoned the quilt two years ago). However, the finished top looks stunning, and it’s only when all the blocks are joined that the contrast between light, dark, and medium becomes clear.

The finished quilt top