A Kraftwerk quilt

I recently went to see Kraftwerk perform a spectacular 3D show in Oxford, and it was lovely to be completely swept away for a few hours by the music and the videos.

As we were waiting for the concert to start I realized that the image projected on the red stage curtains would make a good quilt. This is the result.

IMG_0918

It was quite difficult to decide what to quilt on the expanse of red fabric. In the end I went for lines and diamonds, intended to evoke the images of sound waves which appeared in some of the videos.



 

Advertisements

A final typographical interlude

Having set and printed a poem during my letterpress course, I next wanted to try something more challenging. A dictionary entry seemed perfect as it is justified and contains different fonts.

One of the first things I discovered was that there was no bold Caslon, the typeface I was using, so I needed some other way to make the dates, which marked the start of a new quotation, stand out. In the end the instructor found a Gill typeface for me to use. It turns out that bold wasn’t used much before the 19th century and first became popular with dictionary makers for whom space is at a premium.

The entry I chose to typeset doesn’t yet appear in the OED, as I wanted to print something which hadn’t been published before. I also liked the contrast of a 21st-century tweet rendered with the technology of the past.

IMG_0915