This quilt arose when I was sorting through a box of plain fabrics and came across four fat quarters in various greens and blues and lots of yellow scraps. The back is a print called shanty town by Brandon Mably. I’ve been wanting to use it for a while but it had seemed too dark for a lot of projects; however, I think it complements the yellow binding well.
I made this quilt some years ago as a ruby anniversary present for my in-laws. It mainly consists of French General fabrics and some beautiful Lecien prints from when I first started quilting. I hadn’t seen the quilt since the anniversary, so it was a nice surprise to receive a picture of it in its new home.
The starting point for this quilt was about 40 rectangles of Kaffe Fassett’s woven stripes fabric. By cutting and recombining the striped pattern you can make striking designs.
The blocks in this quilt are made from half-square triangles, but you can combine the fabric further to make more complicated patterns.
I was at my parents’ house today and came across one of the first quilts I made, from over a decade ago. It has faded a lot and is very badly machine quilted, but it was nice to see it again.
This quilt is based on the pattern ‘Dryslwyn Dreams’ by Susan Briscoe which appears in Issue 1 of Today’s Quilter. Briscoe based her pattern on an antique Welsh coverlet.
The fabric is from various Kaffe Fassett collections from about ten years ago, which my mum had bought for a project which never got made. These aren’t usually the sort of colours or prints that I go for, but I thought the Briscoe design, which I’d been wanting to make for a while might work.
Miraculously,the prints worked with the design and I had just enough fabric to finish the quilt. I think it looks really good. The backing is cream flannel and because I managed to baste it well, the quilting was very enjoyable.
After I had made a few rounds of the quilt, I realized that the centre square would look so much better if it had the same rotational symmetry as the rest of the quilt, so I unpicked it and replaced it with a four-patch. I’m glad I made the effort as it’s a massive improvement.
This quilt is adapted from a much larger blue and white quilt in Kaffe Fassett’s Quilts in Italy. I love it and can see myself returning to this pattern often.
Last year, wanting the calming effect of mindless sewing, I made some patches from Liberty fabric.
I had originally bought the pink fabric to back a previous project, but no matter how much I tried to warm to it, I couldn’t face it appearing in another quilt. So I unpicked the pink squares and replaced them with another blue print.
I tried out lots of variations of the patches but none of them worked, so in the end I separated the dark grey from the light grey squares.
I’m particularly pleased with the flatness of the seams, achieved by unpicking a few threads where the points of the squares and triangles met and then pressing so they lay in alternate directions.
I really love the backing fabric used in this quilt. The print is called Tom Daley who I had assumed was the original designer, but it turns out that it is indeed named after the diver.